Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fairy Rolls


This is a family recipe that came from my husband's great-grandma, Vera Barrett. I actually prefer these to the Texas Roadhouse Rolls. Yep. They're that good.

2 cups boiling water
2 cubes/sticks margarine (This is equal to 1 cup) (DON'T USE BUTTER - you may never hear me say that again, but in this recipe it changes everything. Trust me - I found out the hard way)
3/4 cup sugar
2 T. yeast
2 eggs, slightly beaten
6-7 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Pour boiling water over margarine (You used margarine, right? If not, you'll be sorry.) Stir the sugar into this mixture and then let it cool until just warm. THIS IS IMPORTANT! If your water is too warm you will kill the yeast. Then add the yeast and beaten eggs. Mix together the dry ingredients. Add these to the wet mixture and stir, stir, stir. Then get your husband to stir when your arm feels like falling off. (Or put it all in your kitchen-aid mixer!) Throw a towel over the bowl and let the dough rise until double. Shape rolls however you wish. (This dough makes really good cinnamon rolls, caramel rolls & orange rolls, too!) Bake at 350* for about 18 minutes. For cinnamon rolls bake 22-25 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. What is a cube of margarine? Is it a stick or a tablespoon? I've tried to make this recipe several times and I'm definitely doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! This recipe calls for total of 1 cup margarine (2 sticks). Water temp is very important. If you do not allow it to cool long enough your yeast will be killed by the heat. My mother in law was not able to get the recipe to work out and asked if she could come over and watch me make them. This is when she realized her water/margarine mixture was much warmer than mine. Please let me know if this works! :) Also, you aren't using real butter are you? I made this mistake the first time because I figured it would be okay. It was NOT!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! I was only using 2 tablespoons of margarine, no wonder they were dry lol! I'll let the water cool some more too, I'm sure I was impatient and it was still too hot. I can't wait to try it again the RIGHT way, it's going to be 8 degrees here tomorrow, perfect day to bake! I'll let you know how they turn out, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out wonderful this time, thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete

Other recipes you should love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Background