Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rootbeer Float Cupcakes

I found this recipe for Rootbeer Float Cupcakes at Bitter Sweet. I have seen them around and thought I'd give them a go. I wasn't a fan of the frosting recipes that I have seen other bloggers using for them so I went on my own for that. I used Wilton's buttercream recipe and tweaked it just a teeny tiny bit. I could have eaten it with a spoon! It was that good.

Rootbeer Cupcakes

1 Cup Rootbeer Soda (non-diet)
1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Teaspoons Root Beer Extract
1 1/3 Cups Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt

  • Preheat your oven to 325
  • Combine root beer soda and vinegar and let stand for a few minutes.
  • Add in the sugar and oil, whisking until slightly frothy.
  • Mix in your extracts, and slowly add the flour, along with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Careful not to over mix.
  • Fill cupcake liners approximately 3/4 full. (At first I thought I had a lot more batter than 12 cupcakes, but then I noticed the batter would settle, so I went back and added a little batter to each liner, which made 12 cupcakes)
  • Bake for about 20 – 22 minutes.
  • Yields 12 full size cupcakes or 50 mini cupcakes. (bake minis 12-15 minutes)

Rootbeer Buttercream Frosting
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (I didn't use the clear because I wasn't going for white frosting)
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon rootbeer extract (to taste)
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Yields about 3 cups of icing.

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla & rootbeer extracts. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other recipes you should love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Background