Friday, March 23, 2012

Brown Sugar Cake with Browned Butter Frosting

Tonight was my first real attempt at cake decorating. I want to learn cake decorating, not just pretty frosting. I had to start somewhere. No laughing. The recipes I combined are amazing!

Brown Sugar Cake
3 cups flour
5 T cornstarch
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c salted butter, softened
1 c sour cream
2 1/4 c brown sugar
4 eggs
3/4 c buttermilk (3/4 c milk w/ 2 t vinegar)

Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt to combine. Set aside. Cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately until all combined. Beat in sour cream.

Bake at 350* in two 9 in rounds (or an 8 and 10 like I chose) for 20-30 minutes depending on pan sizes. Let cool and then frost with browned butter frosting.

Browned Butter Fosting
1 c butter, divided
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 t almond extract
2 t vanilla
8-10 T water

Brown 1/2 cup of the butter and let cool completely. It should look like this.
Combine browned butter with 1/2 cup softened (not browned) butter. Beat in powdered sugar and extracts. Add as much water as needed to get desired consistency. Frost cake. Here is my crumb coating and finished cake photos. (No laughing! It was my first attempt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other recipes you should love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Background