Friday, April 27, 2012

Hawaiian Haystacks

I saw a recipe floating around on Pinterest from Picky Palate for these yummy Hawaiian Haystacks and thought I'd try it out. I make Hawaiian Haystacks once in a while, but I liked how her gravy sounded. I made a few changes, like omitting the ranch. My family loved it. Every single person (all 7!) loved it. That's almost unheard of. My family picky, but not often do all of us really love the same thing.

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 T (or 4 cubes) chicken bullion
4 cups hot water

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cans chicken, or 2-3 cups chicken breast cooked and chopped small or shredded
Rice, cooked (I had about 7 cups)
Toppings:

Chow Mein Crispy Noodles
sliced green onions
black olives
pineapple
cranberries
cheese
whatever else sounds good to you

In a large sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Whisk until smooth, then add pepper, garlic salt and chicken bullion (if cubes, add AFTER water). Slowly whisk in water 1 cup at a time until smooth.  Continue to stir over medium heat until thickened. Add chicken and remove from heat. Serve over rice and top with desired toppings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Other recipes you should love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Background